Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Skeletal System, and Morbid Musings

Let's get down to business!

Section 1: Morbid Musing
Volunteering at the hospital today, one of the patients kept saying "Life is meaningless. I want to be dead." again and again to a nurse. The nurse was quite flustered and she told her coworkers. C said, "Oh, my mother says that all the time," without batting an eyelash. Sometimes these kinds of grim realizations make me wonder how people can be so peppy all the time. It's hard for the people who work regularly in the health field to stay positive all the time.

I saw a lady on the shuttle with a son. She was so happy. Newly married, in the flush of summer, with a family. I felt kind of jealous, felt homesick and wanted to see my family. But her kid was so cute and kept smiling - a daughter almost 2 years old, so I just smiled back and we made small talk.

Section 2: Skeletal Stuff! MCAT Whoo!
So as a human being, I have an endoskeleton, because my skeleton is inside my body! Arthropods have exoskeletons, external skeletal structures. The skeletal system is really quite necessary because it provides: support, sites for muscle attachment, protection for organs, a site for blood cell formation, and storage for Ca and phosphates. The skeleton can be divided into the the axial and appendicular skeletons.


No comments:

Post a Comment